Graduation from Guided Pathways Academy
Students graduate from the Guided Pathways Academy after completing a minimum of 12 credit hours across one fall and one spring semester with a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. (Spring-entering students earning at least a 2.5 GPA and at least 6 credits in their first semester may petition to use summer classes to meet this requirement.)
Academic Progress in Guided Pathways Academy
Students who earn a grade point average (GPA) of:
3.0 and above in 12 credits are in good standing and have the option to take 15 credits in their second semester.
- 3.0 and above in 6-11 credits are in good standing and may take up to 12 credits in their second semester. (These students may appeal to the GPA Probation and Appeals Committee if they seek to enroll in more than 12 credits.)
- 2.0 and above in 9 or more credits are in good standing and are allowed to take up to 12 credits in their second semester.
- 2.0 and above in 1-6 credits are in good standing and are allowed to take up to 6 credits in their second semester. They may be required to meet regularly with the GPA coach, attend GPA Study Tables and work with a Study Smarter coach during that semester. (These students may appeal to the GPA Probation and Appeals Committee if they seek to enroll in more than 6 credits.)
- 1.8-1.999 will be on probation and are allowed to enroll part time and take up to 6 credits in their second semester. They must make a plan for success and meet with the GPA Probation and Appeals Team* to have their plan approved. Deadline is one week before classes begin the following semester. Petitions will be heard before classes begin. (Coaches: Please let the TSC Director and GPA Director know about pending petitions so hearings can be scheduled in time to make decisions before classes begin.)
- Below 1.8 can't enroll at IUSB for the following semester and will need to pause or attend another school (such as Ivy Tech). This category includes students who withdraw from and/or fail all courses in a given semester. These students can return to IUSB after providing evidence of their academic success elsewhere or by appealing to Admissions (we recommend the latter for students who pause for a year or more). Evidence of academic success means earning a 2.0 or above GPA in at least six credits of college-level work.
Decisions will be made by the GPA Probation and Appeals Team on a case-by-case basis in the following situations:
- A student who is in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA) at the end of their first semester but earns less than a 2.0 GPA during their second semester while still retaining a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
*GPA Probation and Appeals Team: GPA Director (Betsy Lucal), TSC Director (Rick Dennie), student's success coach, and Cynthia Murphy.
Coaches will work with GPA Coach, Erica Cannady, to devise a success plan for each student.
Students on GPA probation
Second-semester students who are on probation will be allowed to continue at IUSB if they earn at least a 2.0 GPA in their second semester. They will remain part of GPA until they earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in a minimum of 12 credits. If they fail to earn a 2.0 GPA in their second semester, they will be dismissed from IUSB. In order to return, they must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in six credits of work from another college/university. If, at that time, they have not yet earned at least 12 credits at IUSB, they will remain in Guided Pathways Academy. If they have earned at least 12 IUSB credits, then they will not need to continue in GPA.
Students who remain on probation after their second semester (earning a 2.0 semester GPA but having a cumulative GPA below 2.0) will continue to take GPA courses until they earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and 12 credits. Permission to take non-GPA classes will be given on a case-by-case basis depending on a student's academic record and major.