Average per-student $700
This award is available to IU South Bend undergraduate students traveling to conferences or workshops to disseminate the results of their research or other scholarly and creative activities. This grant will not support students who wish to attend a conference or workshop, but who are not presenting or performing. These funds cannot be used to complete assignments made as part of normal required coursework. If you will be traveling to a remote location to conduct research, you should submit a SMART Expense Grant proposal. You may receive only one SMART Conference Presentation Grant per academic year.
There is no deadline for these proposals. However, except in special circumstances, proposals must be received by the program office at least two weeks prior to when funding is needed. Because conference registration and travel costs can be significantly lower if you register early and plan your travel well ahead of time, we urge all students to work with their faculty mentors to make conference travel plans as early as possible each academic year. No awards will be made retroactively.
If more than one student will be travelling to the same conference, please review the Group Travel guidelines. If you are not presenting but would like funding to attend a conference, please review the Conference Attendance Guidelines.
Complete the application and send it electronically to Erika Zynda. Your mentor's letter should also be emailed to Erika Zynda. For any questions not addressed in these instructions, please email Erika Zynda or call the program office at 574-520-4181. Incomplete applications will be returned without review.
SECTION A : General Information
Please include the following information in your application:
- Project Title
- Student Name
- E-mail Address
- University ID
- Class Rank: Fr / So / Jr / Sr
- Your Major/Minor
- Expected Graduation Date
- Work Study? Research Required?
- Name, department, and email contact for your faculty mentor
- How did you hear about this program? (if from a professor other than your mentor, include name and department)
- Have you previously been awarded an SMART Award? If YES, give Title of Project, Faculty Mentor, Semester/Year project was begun.
SECTION B: Conference Information
Please provide information about the conference and your presentation:
- Name of conference and web address for the conference
- Location of conference
- Dates you propose to travel and number of days for which you are requesting funding
- Title of conference presentation (if there is a title)
- Names of all co-authors (if any)
- Briefly describe your presentation. If you have submitted an abstract or summary of your presentation as a part of the conference registration process, then please use that abstract or summary as your description. Otherwise, please describe the nature of the research or creative activity and your involvement in the project being presented.
- Briefly describe additional benefits you expect to get from the conference. In addition to your presentation or performance, what are you planning to do at the conference and why? How do those activities correlate with your educational or professional goals?
SECTION C : Budget
What do you estimate your project to cost? Break down the costs as fully as possible using the categories listed below. For each category, provide a brief explanation or justification. The SMART Committee will not fund meals or per diem for student travel. For help with the budget, we urge students to work with their faculty mentors.
- Transportation costs - air or rail ticket price (give name of airline or rail service), auto rental cost (give name of auto rental company), or mileage for use of personal vehicle.
- Registration fee
- Other relevant expenses
SECTION D : Conference Confirmation
Please include the email or letter from the conference organizers confirming acceptance of your presentation or performance.
Your full proposal should be submitted electronically to Erika Zynda as a pdf. Your mentor's letter should be sent by email to the same address.