Travel DatesMay 19-June 3, 2024
Learn about Freiburg and Tübingen, named two of the greenest, most sustainable cities in Europe and their plans to move into a carbonneutral and climate-just future through sustainable practices in housing, transportation, and energy. Discover the roots of some of these values in the German political history and activism around nature. Experience nature yourself through hikes, nature walks, and bikes in Germany’s beautiful Black Forest.
Background study for our experience will include both readings in sustainability and green, thriving urbanism, and German literature and folklore – focusing on the Brothers Grimm. The relationship between German-speaking Europeans and their natural environment continues to be strongly influenced by ideas and narratives in the 19th century, including Romanticism and folklore. If you have never read Little Red Riding Hood in an actual German forest before, it is an experience you won’t want to miss!
Travel highlights include:
- Tours of old city Tübingen and Freiburg by foot and bicycle
- Freiburg’s eco-model district Vauban and solarplus-settlement
- Ludwigsburg “Märchengarten” and Palace Garden
- Castle Hohentübingen
- Excursion to Triberg Falls
- Waldhaus (Forest Education Center) hike in Schwarzwald
- Before departure -- Zurich: Swiss architecture, clean transit, parks, waterways, shopping districts
SUST B399 Germany: Sustainable Development and Green Urbanism
GER G255 Fairytales and Forests—The Brothers Grimm
November 29, 2023; Deposit deadline is December 15, 2023.