International Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

If you don't see the related topic or question, please email us at

  • Who can study abroad?

    Most students typically go abroad during their sophomore or junior year, but summer programs may accept students immediately after their freshman year if they have taken a few upper-level courses. IU summer and semester programs require an overall GPA of 2.75-3.00 or higher.

  • Where can I study abroad?

    IU South Bend offers a variety of programs through our campus. If none of the existing programs meet your particular needs or interests, as participants in the Indiana University network, IU South Bend students are eligible for all trips held throughout all IU campuses. Please visit the complete list of the hundreds of IU-sponsored trips at

  • How long are the abroad programs?

    This depends on the program. IU-sponsored semester programs usually coincide with IU dates. IU South Bend faculty-led trips vary by program, but are usually from one to four weeks. However, since all IU South Bend students are eligible for study abroad trips hosted by any IU campus, programs can vary in length. Please visit the complete list of IU sponsored trips and their lengths at

  • How do I apply for study abroad?
    • Complete the application form
    • Bring the application to the trip leader's office or bring to: International Programs, Administrative Assistant, Administration 247
    • Mail the application to: Office of International Programs,Indiana University South Bend, PO Box 7111, South Bend, IN 46634-7111
  • Do I need a visa to study abroad?

    Most countries require a student visa to participate in a semester-long study abroad program. However, most IU South Bend trips, being shorter than a full semester, do not require a visa.

  • Do I need a passport to study abroad?

    Yes, all students need a passport to leave the United States.  United States passports are valid for ten years if received after age eighteen. If you do not have your passport yet or it is expired, begin the process soon at or by visiting participating United States Postal Service offices. A passport normally takes approximately 4-6 weeks to arrive after applying; the average fee is $135.

  • Do I have to speak a foreign language to study abroad?

    Most IU South Bend programs do not have a language component. The primary exception is the Oaxaca, Mexico program, where students gain part of the necessary College of Liberal Arts and Sciences language requirement and must have one semester of college level Spanish.

  • Will studying abroad delay my graduation?

    Under most circumstances, study abroad trips will not delay graduation. Furthermore, with proper planning, since study abroad programs meet general education requirements, they could lead to a quicker graduation. It would be advisable to meet with your academic advisor to find out what requirements for your major may be fulfilled by your trip.

  • What if I've already graduated and want to take course credit?

    Students must complete the post-baccalaureate non-degree application under the Non-Degree and Guest Students tab at the Admissions website.  This allows any student that is either at another university (even non-IU students) or that has already graduated to sign up for courses for the trip once they have permission in the proper program. There is no application fee for non-degree/guest student admissions.

  • How much does it cost to study abroad?

    Costs vary by program. Details can be found on the individual trip pages by choosing from the list on the Study Abroad trips page.

    The costs listed typically include airfare, room and board, and any IU-organized field trips/excursions. Additional costs not included in those estimated fees include tuition, passport, visa (if necessary), and personal spending money.

  • Can I use my financial aid to study abroad?

    Yes, any form of financial aid can be applied to the costs of study abroad. Contact Cyndi Lang at the Financial Aid office once you have decided to study abroad and she will help you figure out the best way to use your financial aid for your trip.