The Excellence in Teaching with Technology Award honors one faculty member per year who shows evidence of outstanding and innovative use of technology to improve student engagement and learning in any course format (face-to-face, hybrid, online). Awardees will receive a one-time stipend of $1,000 and a Certificate of Recognition, and will be featured on the Center for Online Education (COE) website. Individuals who have received the Excellence in Teaching with Technology Award in previous years are not eligible to reapply.
All tenured and tenure-track faculty, full-time lecturers, clinical faculty (whose primary duty is teaching), and associate faculty who:
- Have taught at IU South Bend for a minimum of three years (not necessarily academic years); six semesters for associate faculty; and
- Have not previously received this award
Candidates do not need to be nominated for this award; self-nominations are acceptable. It is the candidate's responsibility to compile the completed application and email it as a single PDF file to the Director of the Center for Online Education at DEiusb@iusb.edu by 11:59 p.m. on October 1. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Please note, this is the same deadline as the Excellence in Online Teaching Award. Applicants may apply for either or both awards.
- Name, rank, unit, years of teaching at IU South Bend
- Table of courses taught at IU South Bend by semester for identified courses where technology was integrated and course enrollment
- Descriptive and reflective statement about candidate’s approach to teaching with technology, highlighting particular innovations that were effective
- Evidence of teaching with technology’s impact on student learning and engagement
- Peer review of teaching, focusing on innovative use of technology
- Student evaluations and comments table for identified courses taught the last three years as an appendix
- Engagement in activities for faculty development related to technology integration and innovative teaching
Other evidence may be used to document innovation in teaching with technology, such as lists, tables, or brief descriptions of
- Course development
- Teaching innovations
- Leadership in innovation in teaching with technology
- Teaching awards
A subcommittee of the Center for Online Education Advisory Board will serve as the selection committee. This subcommittee will be composed of three faculty members who have experience in teaching with technology, a professional staff who has worked with faculty development, and the COE director.
- Evidence of innovative use of technology in teaching
- Evidence of its impact on student learning and engagement
- Descriptive and reflective statement about candidate's approach to teaching with technology, highlighting particular strengths
- Peer review of teaching with technology by a full-time faculty member
- Student evaluations and comments table for courses/sections taught the last three years
- Engagement in activities for faculty development on technology integration and innovative teaching