Living in a Blue Zone
Live in beautiful Costa Rica, one of the five Blue Zones of the world, where people live measurably longer and healthier lives. Discover healthy lifeways through cooking classes, lectures, readings, and excursions to the farmer’s market. Explore the Guanacaste Peninsula’s nature conservancy and sustainable tourism as you visit the Monteverde Cloud Forest, Thermal Hot Springs, La Fortuna Waterfalls, Palo Verde Park, and Samara Beach. Participate in the national festivals of Guanacaste Day and the Patron Saint Day. Learn about the rich indigenous cultural heritage of the region by visiting Guaitil, a village dedicated to traditional Chorotega pottery.
Live with a local family in a small city rich in traditional culture. Learn Spanish with our partner school, Academia de Español Nicoya. Build your skills in small classes or 2-3 students, with individualized lessons. Engage in authentic conversation as you explore Nicoya.
Open to all majors; requires enrollment in SPAN-S 102 or higher.
Interested? Please email Catherine Hebert-Annis at email@example.com to be added to our Canvas site.
Students will enroll in two courses from the following options:
- SPAN-S 102, S203, S204, S313, S314, or S317. Students needing credits in SPAN-S 496 must have department approval
- SPAN-S 160 Spanish for Health Care Personnel I (open to students enrolled in SPAN-S 203 or higher)
- SPAN-T 190/T 390 Literary and Intellectual Traditions, VT: Costa Rican Culture and Society
- Travel dates | July 5-August 4, 2019
- Cost | $3895 (plus 6 cr. tuition)
All applications are due by February 15, 2019 and a non-refundable deposit of $300 is due by March 22, 2019. Balance must be paid in full or by commitment from Financial Aid by June 5, 2019.